Consensus in the Bittensor network is essential for maintaining a decentralized, distributed network's integrity and security. It involves reaching an agreement among participating nodes on the state of the network, particularly the weights assigned to each miner.
- Weight updates: Agreement on weight updates for each miner, representing their contribution to the network.
- Metagraph: Data structure that keeps track of the miners' weights and stake, updated as part of the consensus process.
- Weight normalization: Ensuring that the total weight in the network remains constant by normalizing weight updates.
- Block validation: Validators (miners) propose and validate blocks containing weight updates in the PoS-based consensus.
- Staking: Validators (miners) stake Subtensor tokens to participate in the consensus process, incentivizing honest behavior.